Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Andy Hug

It's been like a month now, since I took up MMA training, and I have amassed an abundance of past fight videos, whether if it's MMA, K1 or boxing to discover the fighting spirit of these fighters. For my stand up, I have been training mostly in Karate. My primary focus is on Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate. There are several Karate styles, but they are all essentially the same and they all originate from Okinawa, making the Karate I am learning, one of the original ones. My dad's a first degree black belt in Shorin Ryu which he had acquired in the short time of 3 years, while we were still in Kuwait. I regret my actions back then and I wish I could've continued all the way with my dad. I guess that's why I'm training hard now.

Anyways, I love Karate. I know recently it's died down in popularity, what with the popularity of Muay Thai and Brazillian Jiu-Jutsu on the rise (thanks to MMA) and the ever so present flashiness of Tae Kwon Do, a lot of other traditional martial arts, Karate included, are dying out.

I was searching on youtube for amazing Karate fighters. One particular fighter stuck out and must have been one of the most successful Karate fighters in history. Andy Hug. A simple name, befitting a simple man, hailing from Switzerland who loved Karate and loved fighting. This man is quite simply the shining example of what a Karateka should be. Disciplined and fierce. His moves where execute with finesse, speed and amazing power. He was especially noted for his devastating and picture perfect ax kick and spinning back kick or tornado kick. In Japan, he was known as the "blue eyed samurai" (even if his eyes were not blue) and was adored by the Japanese people. He was also called Tetsujin, which translates to Iron Man. They considered him a hero and an ambassador for their fighting culture. Unfortunately, Andy Hug left us much too early, dying suddenly from Leukemia in 2000, when he was only 35. Those who knew him will surely remember him and those who don't know him...well, that's your loss. Andy hug left behind a legacy of excellence in Karate and in sports and I'm here to share his legendary skills. My only regret, is not knowing him earlier.









That's just about to land. Ouch.

Fortunately, Karateka, MMA hero and UFC Light Heavy Weight Champion, The Dragon, Lyoto Machida, is here to show the world, Karate is definitely as potent as ever.

R.I.P. Andy Hug, from your new fan,

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment