Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Impressions : Monster

I felt like watching some animes lately, so I was browsing ninjavideo, to see what they have. There are several titles there I know nothing about, but I found 2 interesting ones (so far).

Monster:



O my God! It's a monster!!!!!

I just finished watching the first 3 episodes and I am very entertained. It's not the usual anime that I would watch. Everything I will comment about the anime is strictly based on the fact that I've only seen 3 episodes. There is almost completely no obvious humour in this series, because it's a very serious anime. It's basically about a young Japanese doctor, who is a genius, living in Germany. He was highly regarded and had it all, until a series of events took place. I won't go further than that. The dialogue is very mature and can easily transission into a lve action T.V. show. A lot of themes here, presented in adult situations, such as ethical morality, equality of human lives, big corporation vs local population, monetary assets vs value of life, social depiction vs self fulfilment etc. Anyways, the story so far, is superb...although you must watch pass episode 1 to truly appreciate the direction in which the anime is going. It's one huge trek though, as it is 73 episodes long, so I don't know how long it would provide me interest. It is highly regarded in the anime community though, being 5 years old (released in 2004). The animation is not the best, but it certainly isn't a big factor here. The style of drawings for the characters looks very 90's and plays well with the setting of the story, which is 1980's-1990's. I also love how they captured the true look of Germany, although a lot of anime's have come to accomplished that. As I mentioned earlier, this anime could easily be a live action TV show, but it is not necessary, since it is good enough as it is. The music is cool. The intro is instrumental, but the first season's outro is so damn good. I dunno why, but I love it. It's english and by a western artist. It's called "For The Love of Life" by David Sylvian (former lead singer of Brit pop/rock group, Japan) . Check it out.

Note: This was based on a manga of the same name, the manga being a decade older than the anime. From what I've heard around forums, it's been very faithful.

Verdict: Reccomended! (Impressed and Interested to continue viewing.)

Wow, I really need to get around to finishing DTB.

Anyways, happy viewings.

Oh my COD!
Alan




3 comments:

  1. the manga was interesting. never saw the anime, maybe i'll go check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i first heard about this i was interested but didn't feel like watching/downloading 70+ episodes so i just read the manga(and cuz i didnt wanna see animated operations). i read somewhere that they were making a live action movie for it, but that was a while ago so i dunno if it was scrapped or not

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should watch this though, the experience of the anime is sooo much better than reading a black and white picture gallery. The sounds, the music and the well acted dialogue.

    ReplyDelete