Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Impressions: Nabari no Ō

Nabari no Ō:


Ninjas in suits....yay!

So, like in my previous post, I said I was watching some animes. So I tried this one. It had ninjas in it, and being a fan of ninjas, I had to check it out. There are some similarities to Naruto and Bleach, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyways, I'll summarize what I found out in the first episode, which usually sets up the entire series. Unlike Monster, and being an action anime, the plot was introduced in a very straightforward manner. Its setting is in modern day Japan, in which ninja factions still exist (called villages, but really, they're clans) The world of ninjas, is reffered to as Nabari, hence the title. There's this kid, Miharu (protagonist), who for some reason has been sealed with the most powerful ninja technique ever created. It some sort of book, which has the power to control life itself. But strangely, being referred to a book of techniques, it takes a shape of a young girl cough Yomi cough Ga-Rei cough. Anyways, all the remaining existing ninja "villages" are after this kid. Now these two guys at his school, his sensei (Kakashi-ish, I guess.) and some blonde kid, are in some martial arts (ninja club). They're convincing him to join the club, so that they can help protect him and train him to control the power within.

The plot is very linear, but does the job well. Plus this is just the first of 26 episodes, so I don't know where they are going to take this. So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. The characters are interesting and unique. The protagonist, unlike in many action animes, is not a loud mouth, courageous, all or nothing type of guy. He's negative, he's a loner, sarcastically funny and wants nothing to do with these ninjas, which I find interesting and different. The art style is reminiscent of Bleach (long, lanky bodies) and the faces are similar, albeit a more basic form of Basilisk (very basic form, the detail in Basilisk was much more superb, also the eyebrows and eyeshadows are much less thick) Personally, like a lot of animes, the manga art looked cooler. The animation is average, but the action scenes are excellent and well done. In the first episode that I've seen, the action was much better compared to it's shounen counterpart, Naruto. I'm talking about majority of the episodes. I hope it's constant through out. The music is good, but not more than that.

Screenshots:


Intro is pretty standard fare.

Intro still.....Jin?! Kurenai?!!




Awkward dialogue. Males talking to other males. -_-'




Excellent action scenes.


This guy honestly looks like Jerick @ Prom. Except with grey hair, which Jerick does fewly possess. Minus the wrinkles also.

Verdict: Depends on your taste. (Personally, I will continue and finish this, since I enjoy these types of anime)

Strangely this anime is not categorzied as Shounen, even if it has many aspects of a Shounen, I'll see differences as I go along I guess,

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment