Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The cursed heating has gone!

A lot of you probably know, that I complain about my laptop having random slowdowns and random auto-shutdowns. The CPU usage would spike up from like 10-20% to 60-70%....it was occurring in intervals and it really bugged the hell out of me. I tried reformatting it and it didn't work. So today I researched causes for this and I found a site saying its dust. Jerick had always been telling me it was dust, but I guess I needed more specific instructions. I opened it up and removed the entire heat sink. I did see some dust around, so I vacuumed it. I was like...there's not much in here...was this causing the problems? So I continued my investigation and I opened the fan where the main heatsink was connected. The copper heat sink, was jammed up full of thick dust. So all this time, the hot air that the fan was trying to blow out, mostly remained in the notebook....causing the system to greatly overheat.

So anyone who's had a laptop for at least a year and constantly leaves it on or uses it...clean up your heat sink and fan!

Back to my Kitchener house tomorow, sighs,

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment